On Halloween I had my heart set on making pumpkin soup with what I had on hand but as I browsed through several recipes I couldn’t find one with the ingredients I wanted to use. So I whipped up my own concoction and will humbly say this is the best pumpkin soup I’ve ever tasted — not to mention, the simplest! No need to bake a pumpkin or put anything into a food processor. I know the days of autumn are coming to an end, but I will be enjoying this warm, comforting soup all winter long and have hopes that you will too!
This recipes makes about 6 cups, with one cup counting as a fat and carbohydrate, which makes for a perfect bedtime snack. Or you can stir in a scoop of protein powder for a perfect PFC (protein, fat and carbohydrate) balanced morning or afternoon snack.
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Cook and store the garlic into the melted butter until softened.
- Stir the water and let it heat up for 1-2 minutes before adding in the rest of the ingredients.
- Stir the pumpkin puree, coconut milk, pumpkin pie spice and brown sugar or maple syrup (if desired) and cook until heated through, about 5-6 minutes.
- Let simmer on the stove on low heat until read to eat.
- Garnish with a touch of heavy cream, pumpkin seeds, pistachios and/or a sprig of parsley. Refrigerate or freeze extras for easy to reheat sides or snacks.
Looking for the perfect dessert this holiday season? Click below to get my Perfect Pumpkin Pie recipe!