One of the biggest parts of losing weight (and keeping it off!) and making it sustainable is to continually be detoxing to flush out toxins.I talk about the importance of daily detoxing in all of my weight loss programs because we are continually being bombarded with toxins (in food, hair products, cleaning materials, the air we breathe!). These toxins get absorbed and accumulate in your body.
Any time you have toxins built up, your body has to focus its energy and resources on eliminating those, which blocks your body’s ability to lose weight (and also wreaks havoc on your energy levels, skin, brainpower, and immunity).
If you experience symptoms like difficulty losing weight, a foggy brain, frequent illnesses, injuries that are slow to heal, and a general state of fatigue or sluggishness, then you likely need to push those toxins out. Whether you want to lose weight, have chronic health or pain issues, or just want to optimize your energy and brainpower, enhancing your body’s detoxification pathways is key.
A lot of the time when women say they feel “blah” or “foggy” or “frumpy” I ask when the last time they did anything to push toxins out of their body was… and they usually can’t remember (or aren’t sure what I’m talking about).
There are a couple of simple things I personally do, and recommend to the women I help when it comes to supporting your body’s natural ability to detox:
- The first is going through our structured 10 Day Reset Program (at least once a year, and ideally, once each quarter (think of it as changing your oil, or giving your metabolism a hard “reset” with each new season)).
- Regular use of an infrared sauna. Definitely one of the best things you can do for your body’s detoxification functionality, which in turn improves your metabolism, your waistline, your brainpower, your immunity, your sleep… Basically, it supports your body in every way!
If you want to learn about the 10 Day Reset program, you can click here to watch my video, read and watch testimonials, and get started when you’re ready! It’s an entire guided program with daily videos, simple meal plans, yummy recipes, and step-by-step instructions.
In this blog post, I want to share with you the ins and outs of the infrared sauna… because I have spent hours of research on these, and actually ended up purchasing one for my apartment, and it is truly one of the best investments I have ever made in my health, and absolutely the wellness “tool” that I use the most (almost every day!).
Hands down one of the most effective things you can do for your body is using an infrared sauna to sweat out those toxins on a regular basis.
Now, I’m not talking about the sauna at your local gym or spa that uses steam and hot rocks. In this kind of traditional sauna, you are just sitting in a hot room. I always used to think that was the only type of sauna and I was never a fan (they are so hot and uncomfortable! Yuck.) That was before I knew anything about infrared.
Infrared saunas heat your body directly, from the inside out—giving you deeper penetration, greater health benefits, and much more comfort!
The benefits of infrared saunas are many!
- Reduce inflammation
- Detox toxins
- Improve immunity
- Lose weight
- Improve your skin
- Improve focus and mental health
- Lowers heart health risk
- Help keep blood sugar levels stable
- Reduce cravings
Your body goes through an entire anti-inflammatory, detoxification process from being in this type of sauna.
Bonus, you’re getting a passive workout just by laying in your sauna! (or reading a book for a half-hour like I do in mine).
Regular use of the infrared sauna is one of the best things you can do for your health, your body, and your weight.
But… what about space and cost??
Now, before you say, I don’t have the money or space for a sauna! Let me say that I thought the same things. If you would have told me a few years ago that I’d be buying one of these for my office, I would have said, “You’re crazy!” Yet… you would have been right! I never thought I’d have space in my little apartment for a sauna, and I assumed they’d be costly to purchase and costly to run…and none of that is true.
The one I got (called the “Hybrid”) fits 1- 2 people, and it also fits right into my office next to my huge treadmill desk (and Callie’s kennel 😉 ). It plugs into any standard outlet (both inside or outside too if you wanted to put it in a garage or on a balcony or porch!), and it hardly affects the energy bill (2-3 bucks more per month, seriously). And with the wholesale pricing I was able to get for myself and you (more on that later), it’s surprisingly affordable.
Why Get A Sauna?
Having an infrared sauna in your home overcomes the biggest barriers to the use of an infrared sauna: they’re hard to find, and if you do find one at a health club or spa, they’re inconvenient, expensive, and you have far less control of the temperature. Plus, when you have one in your home, you’ll actually use it. Unlike promising yourself you’ll go to the sauna across town.
Prior to purchasing my own sauna, I’d been using an infrared sauna 3-4 times a week for 3 years. I found a location 30 minutes away, but when I was sick of the drive, making appointments, and being disappointed in seeing the temperature of the sauna so low when I arrived, is when I decided to get my own!
It’s so convenient being able to do your sauna sessions whenever you want, instead of packing shower stuff and driving to the spa or gym.
I do sauna sessions much more frequently (read: more health benefits!) having it in my own home. I like to do a session right when I wake up, at the end of a long work day, or right before bed (and those times were not an option at the spa I was driving to). 🙂
One thing I love is that when I’m done, I rinse off and feel so healthy and clean just like when I have a good workout, it makes me want to eat healthier and be healthier the rest of the day!
Speaking of exercise, even if you are an avid exerciser, you’ll sweat more in the infrared sauna and experience several more health benefits from the infrared technology (click here to watch my video in my sauna, hehe).
What Are the Benefits of An Infrared Sauna?
The benefits of using an infrared sauna on a regular basis are clear and well documented. Whether it’s boosting metabolism, improving detoxification, relaxation, reducing stress levels, easing pain and inflammation, and helping blood sugar, regular infrared sauna use has powerful benefits.
- Detoxification. Studies are showing that regular, ongoing sauna use is best for detoxification and how true healing of inflammation happens. And regular detoxing is imperative for weight loss. Sweating is the natural way for the body to heal itself and promote boosted metabolism, stronger immunity, and easier weight loss. As the sauna naturally produces an increase in your body temperature, you begin to reach deeper levels of sweat-induced detoxification. Your core temperature is primarily affected when undergoing a far infrared sauna therapy, affecting your body at the cellular level for the deepest kind of detox.
- Infrared Saunas Strengthen Your Immunity. As your sauna increases your core body temperature, it creates “hormetic stress” that strengthens your immune system. A 1% increase in body temperature results in a 40% increase in immunity, according to Nobuhiro Yoshimizu, MD, PhD. This puts your white blood cells into hyperdrive, so they can quickly gobble up bacterial or viral cells.
- Saunas melt away stress. When you relax in your sauna, you’ll feel a rush of feel-good hormones, like serotonin and dopamine. Having a way to drop your stress levels and calm your mood in your home is amazing! Think of how you feel after an incredible workout. I love getting that same euphoria by sitting in my sauna and reading for a half-hour!
- They May Help You Live Longer. In a large study out of Finland (a country that has more saunas than cars!), frequent sauna users, 4 to 7 times per week (I’m a 4 or 5!), were found to be 40% less likely to die from all causes. Woo Hoo!
- They Can Help with Weight Loss. The sauna flushes toxins out of your tissues, which accumulate and stand in the way of weight loss. If weight loss is a goal of yours, I encourage you to do at least 3 or 4 sauna sessions per week! The infrared sauna is an amazing way to detox your body from toxin buildup, and prime it for a boosted metabolism and weight loss.
Another thing I love about my infrared sauna is it gives you a rush of feel-good hormones, like serotonin and dopamine. For a calmer mood and a sense of euphoria. Having a way to drop your stress levels in your home is so useful!
Plus, the minute I feel any symptom coming on, like a fever, body aches or even just a headache, I get in my sauna. Mobilizing the immune system often knocks the illness down, right then and there — or it makes the symptoms mild, and the illness passes quickly.
This is only a taste of what owning an infrared sauna in your home can do for your health. You’ll discover so much more valuable information during the free Web Class! I watched this to learn as much as I could before deciding to purchase mine. And psst— don’t miss the Q&A video at the bottom of the page!
What Brand of Sauna is Best?
The brand I own, after doing a ton of research on types and brands is Influence Sauna, and I’m excited to announce that what I’ve set up for you is a “group buy” where we get a huge discount with wholesale pricing (plus, bonuses like an awesome bluetooth audio system, back rest, and free shipping (I paid $500 for mine to be shipped)!
If you’re wanting to learn more, Robyn Openshaw who is one of the founders of Influence Saunas (and is incredibly intelligent when it comes to saunas), did a presentation for us with all of the details about the infrared sauna, the group buy and there is also a separate Q&A (which I learned a ton from! This is actually the class I attended prior to purchasing mine).
This video class and the incredible wholesale sauna pricing are available for a short time — go ahead and check them out. I never thought I’d even entertain the idea of having one at home and now I clearly understand why.
I’m so excited to share this resource with you. Hands down my new favorite wellness tool that I use almost every single day, and this could be one of the biggest game changers for your health and waistline.
Click here to watch the video I recorded for you—in my sauna of course—and to register for the “Why Own A Sauna?” class (at no cost!) so you can learn about this incredible health and wellness tool. Before I purchased my at-home sauna, I attended one of Robyn’s classes and learned so much! I’m excited to give you the opportunity to do the same.
AND, we’re doing a “group buy” to get you your own sauna at an incredibly discounted price. Owning a sauna may sound like a luxury, but with wholesale prices, it’s surprisingly affordable. And you can absolutely fit it in your home (that was a big barrier for me until I discovered the Hybrid model which is the one I got!!)
If your health is a priority for you (and your family), a high-quality infrared sauna is a no brainer.
You’ll see why during the sauna web class!